The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
PhD fellow in biosystematics (acarology) at the University Museum of Bergen
There is a vacancy for a PhD position at the University Museum of Bergen, Department of Natural History within the field of mite systematics – acarology. The position is for a fixed-term period of 4 years, of which 25% is work duty in in the entomological collection.
About the project
Mites form an enormous diversity on Earth. Despite the fact that these animals were among the earliest arthropods on land, and are today occupying most terrestrial habitats in huge numbers, they are still among the least known organisms on earth, including Scandinavia. Would you like to join a team exploring the poorly known world of mite diversity?
The selected candidate will take part in a Norwegian Taxonomy Initiative project on moss mites in Norwegian forests, managed by the University Museum. The fellow will participate in field work collecting soil arthropods, and make preparations of mite specimens for morphological and molecular studies. He or she will establish molecular protocols and execute DNA barcoding of moss mites, and incorporate molecular data in taxonomic work on select genera in Ceratozetidae and related oribatid families. The candidate must contribute to the development of new molecular markers to enable rigorous tests of taxonomic and geographical hypotheses. The research will focus on species limits both locally and across the Holarctic, and thereby provide baseline molecular data for taxonomic decisions on cryptic species complexes.
About the PhD position:
The duration of the PhD position is 4 years, of which 25 per cent of the time each year comprises duties beyond research and studies, such as: Curatorial work, teaching, and communication of science. The fellowship holds a strong science communication profile where species and higher taxa are presented on webpages for the Norwegian Biodiversity Information Centre.
The employment period may be reduced if you have previously been employed in a recruitment position.
Qualifications and personal qualities
- The applicant should hold a master’s degree (or the equivalent) in biosystematics, or a similar field with relevant experience in entomology. Some experience with mites or other arachnids is an advantage, but not required. The master’s degree must have been submitted before the application deadline.
- Experience with molecular methods in evolutionary analyses is highly valued.
- The applicant should be highly motivated, have the ability to work independently and in a well-structured manner, and to cooperate closely with members of the research group.
- Proficiency in both written and oral English is required.
About the research training
The PhD Candidate must participate in an approved educational programme for a PhD degree for a period of 3 years. He or she will be a member of the research school in biosystematics (ForBio). A final plan for the implementation of the research training must be approved by the faculty within three months after you have commenced in the position. It is a condition that you satisfy the enrolment requirements for the PhD programme at the University of Bergen.
We can offer
- A professionally challenging working environment (research group: http://www.uib.no/en/rg/pse).
- Modern laboratories with diverse research activities in biosystematics, and access to the best Nordic mite collection.
- Salary at pay grade 50 upon appointment (Code 1017, NOK 436.900). Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise).
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- Curriculum Vitae, including a complete list of any scientific publications
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of these can be the main advisor for the master's thesis or equivalent thesis
- Transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor's and master's degrees
- Relevant certificates /references
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting: Head of Department, Bjarte Jordal, phone 55582233, e-mail email@example.com
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant background. People with immigrant background and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.
Closing date for applications: August 25th, 2017.
About this job
- DeadlineFriday, August 25, 2017
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Place of serviceAvdeling for naturhistorie
- Jobbnorge ID140272
- Internal ID17/7807
- DurationFixed Term
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Research / Development
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland