The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow position
There is a vacancy for a postdoctoral research fellow position within the area of research on media and communications technology at the Department of Information Science and Media Studies’ branch in Media City Bergen. The position is for 4 years with 25 % of the period dedicated to Departmental duties.
In 2017 the Department of Information Science and Media studies will relocate parts of its activities to media cluster Media City Bergen, together with a large number of regional, national and international media production and technology companies. Major media companies in include the two regional newspapers Bergens Tidende and Bergensavisen, the national broadcaster TV2, and the regional branch of public server broadcaster NRK. Vizrt will also be located in the hub along with other media technology companies. In cooperation with the media companies, content producers and technology developers we aim to build an internationally competitive hub for education and research in media production and technology. In autumn 2017, the Department launches six new BA and MA programmes in journalism, television production, and media and interaction design. The study programmes will provide key competence for an industry in change and need of restructuring.
The vision for Media City Bergen is to develop an internationally leading environment for innovation and knowledge development in the media field through enhanced interaction between media and technology companies and research and educational institutions. The University of Bergen is the main academic partner in Media City Bergen.
About the project/work tasks
We are seeking an information science scholar who can strengthen the Department’s research and teaching within the area media and communications technology. Thematic examples include, but are not limited to:
- Computational journalism;
- HCI and interaction design ;
- Visualization and 3D modelling;;
- Artificial intelligence;
- Use and application of semantic technologies in media production;;
- Social media
The Postdoctoral Research Fellow will contribute to the strengthening of the research activities at the Department’s branch in Media City Bergen. The Fellow will also contribute to creating dialogue between research and education and the industry, i.e. organizing seminars and workshops, participate in the development of research projects. The Fellow will take part in the Department’s educational activities.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within information sciences or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- Experience in research on media and communications technology will be an advantage.
- Work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- Proficiency in both written and oral English
- A good command of the Norwegian language (if the position requires this).
In assessing applicants, the following will be given particular weight:
- :Scientific qualifications
- Scientific weight, and the originality of the planned project
- The value and significance of the project as part of qualifying for a top academic position.
Potential candidates may be invited to the department for an interview, and might be asked to hold a trial lecture in a given topic.
Applicants are advised to familiarize themselves with the teaching and research profile at the Department, please see http://www.uib.no/en/infomedia
The teaching language will usually be Norwegian.
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
The position of postdoctoral research fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. The fixed-term period for this position is x year(s) (for appointments exceeding two years, the employer will decide whether the employee will be instructed to perform mandatory duties in the form of teaching work and equivalent work and the scope of this). Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral research fellow at the same institution.
A research proposal of 6-8 pages must accompany the application. The proposal should contain a progress plan for the different parts of the research work, as well as a plan regarding publishing. It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
A budget must be set up for operating expenses.
We can offer:
- A good and professionally challenging working environment.
- Salary at pay grade 57 – 60 (code 1352) on the government salary scale upon appointment (equivalent to NOK 490 900,- - 517 700,- per year). Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IW).
- Good welfare benefits.
Your application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of these must be the main advisor from the PhD programme.
- Research proposal.
- Transcripts and diplomas and official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted.
- Relevant certificates/references.
- List of any works of a scientific nature (publication list).
- Any publications in your name.
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.
In cases of scientific work in paper version, this must be sent as ordinary post, sorted in 3 folders, to the University of Bergen, The Faculty of Social Sciences, P.O. Box 7802, N-5020 Bergen, Norway.
The application has to be marked with: 17/7674
The closing date is September 12, 2017
Applications sent by e-mail will not be evaluated.
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting: Professor Ole Johan Mjøs, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone: + 47 55 58 41 26.
Practical questions about the application process should be directed to Senior Executive Officer Bodil Hægland, e-mail: email@example.com or tel.+47 55 58 90 53.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
About this job
- DeadlineTuesday, September 12, 2017
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID140165
- Internal ID17/7674
- DurationFixed Term
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland