The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
Associate professor in Information Science
There is a vacancy for a permanent full-time position as Associate professor in Information science at the Department of Information Science and Media Studies’ branch in Media City Bergen. Research and teaching duties for the position lie within the area of media and communications technology.
In 2017 the Department of Information Science and Media studies will relocate parts of its activities to media cluster Media City Bergen, together with a large number of regional, national and international media production and technology companies. Major media companies in include the two regional newspapers Bergens Tidende and Bergensavisen, the national broadcaster TV2, and the regional branch of public server broadcaster NRK. Vizrt will also be located in the hub along with other media technology companies. In cooperation with the media companies, content producers and technology developers we aim to build an internationally competitive hub for education and research in media production and technology. In autumn 2017, the Department launches six new BA and MA programmes in journalism, television production, and media and interaction design. The study programmes will provide key competence for an industry in change and need of restructuring.
The vision for Media City Bergen is to develop an internationally leading environment for innovation and knowledge development in the media field through enhanced interaction between media and technology companies and research and educational institutions. The University of Bergen is the main academic partner in Media City Bergen.
Work tasks/research field:
We are seeking an information science scholar who wishes to contribute to the strengthening the Department’s research and teaching within the area media and communications technology. We are seeking candidates with research and teaching competence within the following areas:
- Computational journalism;
- HCI and interaction design;
- Visualization and 3D modelling;
- Use and application of semantic technologies in media production;
- Artificial intelligence;
The Associate professor will contribute to enhancing the dialogue and collaboration between research and education and the industry within and outside of Media City Berge i.e. take part in and develop new research and innovation projects, as well as organizing seminars and workshops.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must have a doctoral degree in Information Science or equivalent qualifications.
- Applicants ought to display an ability to publish research at a high international level beyond their PhD dissertation.
- The evaluation of the applicant’s scientific work will focus primarily on research published the last five years.
- The applicants must be willing and able to teach compulsory courses at both the undergraduate and the graduate level.
- Personal aptitude will be of great importance. Cooperative skills, as well as future plans for research, and ambitions when it comes to teaching will be of added value.
- Basic pedagogical training is a requirement for the position. The successful applicant will be offered training if this requirement is not met prior to employment.
- Has an ability to develop and lead research projects, experience in coordinating research activities.
- Has a knowledge of the media industry
The teaching language will normally be Norwegian. The successful applicant will be required to teach in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language within two years of being appointed.
We can offer:
- A good and professionally challenging working environment
- Salary at pay grade 64 - 70 (code 1011/ Pay range 24, alternative) in the state salary scale. This currently amounts to an annual salary of NOK 556 70,- - 621 800,-before taxes. Further increase in salary will depend on seniority. A higher salary may be considered for a particularly well qualified applicant.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IW).
- Good welfare benefits.
Your application must include:
- A cover-letter
- A summary of planned research initiatives
- Certifies copies of diplomas and certificates
- The contact details of two references
- Complete list of publications
- List with appendices that document your pedagogical qualifications.
- List of academic work that you believe should be taken into consideration in the assessment, including information about where this work was published.
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.
Based on this information, the expert committee will perform a review of the applicants. Subsequently, the faculty will invite the best-qualified applicants to submit scholarly works. Employment is based on the expert assessment and an independent judgment from Head of department including interview and trial lecture.
The closing date is September 12, 2017
The application has to be marked with: Reference 17/7672
We kindly ask the applicants to follow the guidelines for applicants to intermediate level positions at the Faculty of Social Sciences closely. The guidelines are obtainable here: http://www.uib.no/en/svf/foremployees/97613/guide-applicants-associate-professor-positions
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting: Professor Ole Johan Mjøs, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone: + 47 55 58 41 26.
Practical questions about the application process should be directed to Senior Officer Bodil Hægland, telephone: + 47 55 58 90 53, e-mail: email@example.com.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times. Reference is made to the general University regulations that stipulate that, as part of the normal duties of the position and within his/her academic field, the successful applicant may also be required to teach, supervise and carry out examination related tasks outside the organisational unit to which the position belongs.
About this job
- DeadlineTuesday, September 12, 2017
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID140086
- Internal ID17/7672
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland