The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
Full-time tenure track position as Associate Professor at the Faculty of Medicine
The Faculty of Medicine wish to recruit talented persons with a professional background in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, clinical nutrition or health sciences. We are therefore announcing a tenure track position as associate professor. The position is open within any of the special fields indicated. The position is vacant for a period of six years. The successful applicant must start in the position within six mounts after the offer of the position has been given.
The aim of the employment in a tenure track position is to recruit the best candidates for a full-time permanent position as professor. The faculty and the departments are committed to facilitate the development of the competence within teaching, research, presentation and innovation for the successful applicant. The successful applicant will during the tenure track period get the opportunity to qualify for a permanent position as professor. The position will be connected to the department which is natural depending on the successful applicant´s field of expertise.
See end of page for job description including details on curriculum and area of responsibility, particular duties and other circumstances which will be stressed at the time of appointment and the request to get a full-time permanent position as professor at the end of the tenure track period.
Additional information on the position is obtainable from the next Dean Professor Per Bakke, phone: +47 922 04 032 or e-mail: Per.Bakke@uib.no
Conditions for employment
- There should be less than six years since the applicant received his/her PhD-degree. The applicant may obtain additional time for leave of absence in connection with birth or adoption
- The applicant must have a Norwegian authorization in one of the relevant special fields indicated or education from the EU/EEA-area, which easily can be converted to a Norwegian authorization. It is possible for the applicant to have a part-time clinical position (40 %). Applicants currently under specialisation may have a part-time clinical position up to 50 %, or the applicant can apply for one year leave of absence in order to finish the specialization. The position as associate professor at the University of Bergen and the clinical position outside the University of Bergen cannot exceed 120 %. The tenure track period cannot exceed seven years.
- The successful applicant must have a degree within medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, clinical nutrition or health science, and contribute to research and teaching at the Faculty of Medicine. For details, please see the description of the position at the end of the page.
- A relevant Norwegian PhD-degree or corresponding qualifications. There should be less than six years since the successful applicant received his/her PhD-degree
- A Norwegian approved speciality training within a relevant health profession (medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, clinical nutrition or health science) or education from the EU/EEA-area, which easily can be converted to a Norwegian authorization
The following conditions will be emphasized
- Good progression in the development of his/her own research
- The ability to work independently and structured
- Good interpersonal skills
- Taken part in teaching-, supervision- and examination programmes
- Basic teaching training. The successful candidate will be offered appropriate training if this requirement has not been met before the appointment.
- Professional and general communication of own research
- The ability to attract external funding
The teaching language will normally be Norwegian.
We can offer
- The possibility for a permanent position as professor at the end of the tenure track period if the candidate is qualified
- Extensive follow-up during the tenure track period
- Access to advanced infrastructure at the University of Bergen and Haukeland University Hospital
- Office and lab space
- A start-up package consisting of a PhD- position and NOK 250 000 per year for the first three years to cover running costs
- For an associate professor the initial salary pay grade is 59-69 (code 1011/pay framework 24.3-24.13) on the government salary scale; at present NOK 507 100 - 609 700 gross p.a. for a full-time position; following ordinary meriting regulations. A pension contribute of 2 % will be deducted and deposited to the state pension scheme. In the case of highly qualified applicants a higher salary may be considered
- A good pension scheme in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Inclusive workplace (IW)
- Good welfare scheme
The successful applicant will be required to take part in teaching and examination programmes in force at any time and to comply without additional remuneration with any amendments that may be introduced by legislation with regard to curriculum, pension schemes and retirement age.
Women in particular are invited to apply. If, in the opinion of the evaluation committee, several applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules on equal opportunities laid down in the Personnel Regulations for Academic Positions will be applied.
State employment shall reflect the multiplicity of the population at large to the highest possible degree. The University of Bergen has therefore adopted a personnel policy objective to ensure that we achieve a balanced age and sex composition and the recruitment of persons of various ethnic backgrounds. Persons of different ethnic backgrounds and persons with disabilities are therefore encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principles of public openness when recruiting staff to scientific positions. Information about the applicant may be made public even though the applicant has requested not to be named in the list of applicants. The applicant will be notified if his/her request is not respected.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at any time.
How to apply for the position:
Upload the following and send the application and CV via the link “Apply for this job” on this website:
CV with a complete overview of the applicant’s education, earlier positions and other activities
scanned copies of your certificates (including your PhD-diploma)
a complete list of scholarly works, with information about where these have been published
a list of attachments providing evidence of the applicant's teaching qualifications
a list of works on which the committee should place special emphasis in its evaluation with information on where they have been published
the scholarly works, or parts of such works on which the committee should place special emphasis in its evaluation (max 10 for an associate professor)
It is very important that each of the scholarly works on which the committee should place special emphasis, is attached in its entirety.
The application along with attachments with authorized translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded in Jobbnorge.
The applications with attachments are sent electronically to the expert committee.
Please note that the applications will be forwarded to the committee with the information and attachments uploaded in JobbNorge at closing date. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure all relevant documentation is present.
Reference is made to "Rules for employment in scientific positions and academic/administrative management positions."
For further information about the recruitment process, click here.
Closing date for applications: 1 September 2017
Description of position
The Faculty of Medicine wish to recruit talented persons with a professional background in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, clinical nutrition or health sciences. We are therefore announcing a tenure track position as an associate professor. The position is open within any of the special fields indicated. The position is vacant for a period of six years.
Demands to get a permanent position as professor at the end of the tenure track period
The contract of employment, along with the announcement text and the description of the position, determine the results, demands and criteria that the applicant should fulfil during the tenure track period in order to get a permanent position as professor.
In addition to the demands following the "Rules for employment in scientific positions and academic/administrative management positions” should the following demands be fulfilled in order to get a permanent position:
Be able to demonstrate good progress in developing his/her own research career.
To have the capacity for independent research, interdisciplinary collaboration and research management.
Documented co-publication with other researchers in highly rated international journals.
Documented active participation and presentations at national and international research conferences.
Have supervised at least one PhD-candidate who has attained his/her PhD-degree.
Have a good reputation as research supervisor.
Have participated in regular teaching, supervision and examination procedure.
Having achieved satisfactory student evaluations of his/her own teaching within the tenure track period.
To be able to demonstrate both professional oriented and general communication of his/her own research through articles, lectures, chronicles and other instruments.
- Academic leadership:
Have participated actively in the academic development at the departmental, faculty and university level.
Be able to demonstrate good communication and cooperation skills and participation in various public administrative bodies, expert committees, other bodies in the sector and to cooperation with other relevant institutions.
Be able to demonstrate assignments with peer review of scholarly works.
- International cooperation:
Active participation in international cooperation, implementation of joint projects and publications with international co-authorship.
- The ability to attract external funding:
Have achieved national or international competitive funding for his/her own research.
Participated actively in applications to the EU as a partner or coordinator.
- Other particular conditions: The contract of employment might also be adapted to conditions applicable to the activities at the department the successful applicant is employed.
Demands for employees in the tenure track position as associate professor
During the tenure track period the applicant should qualify for a permanent position as professor. Within four years of the tenure track period a mid-term review will be carried out in which the applicant will be assessed regarding the progression of his/her work according to the requirements for professor competence. The evaluation will be conducted on the basis of the contract of employment, and should guide the applicant regarding the tasks to be prioritized in the rest of the tenure track period to meet the requirement for a permanent position as professor.
The applicant must provide written documentation along with a written self-evaluation of the results achieved so far to the mid-term review in accordance with the “Guideline for the use of tenure track positions as associate professor at the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry “.
The applicant will also be evaluated before the end of the tenure track period to see if the requirements that were set in the contract of employment have been met. Within 12 months before the tenure track period ends, the Faculty Board will appoint an expert committee and set a deadline for submitting the work from the applicant and the committee. The applicant will then be informed about deadlines and the expert committee.
The applicant will be informed about the outcome of the final evaluation at the latest six months before the end of the tenure track period. The applicant may submit remarks to the evaluation and additional information to those parts of the evaluation will be given.
Based on the final evaluation, the Faculty Board determines whether the candidate should obtain a permanent position as professor.
To get a permanent position as professor at the Department of Clinical Dentistry (cf. § 2 “Regulations on the employment and promotion in teaching and research positions” 23 July 2010) after the end of the tenure track period, the candidate must through a final evaluation have achieved the current requirements for professor competence as approved by the national Dean meeting in dentistry and agreed upon in the Faculty Board at the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry.
To get a permanent position as professor at one of the other departments at the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry (cf. § 2 “Regulations on the employment and promotion in teaching and research positions” 23 July 2010) after the end of the tenure track period, the candidate must through a final evaluation have achieved the current requirements for professor competence as approved by the national Dean meeting in medicine and agreed upon in the Faculty Board at the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry.
The opportunity to apply for personal promotion for professor competence is not valid for the period the candidate is employed in the tenure track position as associate professor. The tenure track position lasts six to seven years.
Documented abilities and willingness to participate in collaborative work in research, coordination and supervision will be emphasised.
The teaching language will normally be Norwegian. The successful applicant must be able to teach in Norwegian or one of the other Scandinavian languages within two years of his/her appointment. Norwegian courses will be offered.
Basic teaching competence is also a requirement, but the successful applicant who does not have such competence at the time of his/her appointment will be offered training and will be required to produce evidence of such competence within one year of the date of appointment. This deadline is extended to two years for the successful applicant who does not master a Scandinavian language at the time of appointment.
Reference is made to the University's General Regulations which state that as part of the normal duties of the position, the successful applicant may also be required to undertake teaching, supervision and work in connection with examinations in his or her particular field outside the organisational unit to which the appointment belongs.
The University of Bergen underscore that teaching qualifications are to be given real weight in appointments to middle and senior positions. Applicants must document their own teaching qualifications by submitting:
evidence of completed teaching training
evaluation reports of the applicant's teaching
overview of scope and level of teaching
overview of supervision of post-graduate and doctoral candidates, and results obtained
student awards received
own teaching publications
own teaching compendia and material
reports showing participation in projects related to the development of teaching, such as alternative forms of teaching, supervision or teaching environments.
Appointment takes place based on the recommendation of an expert committee and an independent assessment from the appointing authority including, assessment of references, interview and any testing of teaching competence.
About this job
- DeadlineFriday, September 1, 2017
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Place of serviceBergen
- Jobbnorge ID139680
- Internal ID17/6632 (IVØI)
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Research / Development
- Vacant positions - Health / Social
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland