The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
Chief Engineer / Staff Engineer (Programmer)
At the Department of Informatics there is a vacancy for a permanent position as a chief engineer/staff engineer financed by external projects. The first two years of the position are mainly linked to the project "Building the bridge between high-throughput omics analyses and novel biomedical knowledge” as part of the Barsnes research group (cbu.uib.no/barsnes) and financed by the Bergen Research Foundation.
The position is part of the Computational Biology Unit (CBU) (cbu.uib.no), a leading hub of bioinformatics research spanning both the basic and applied fields. CBU offers support and assistance to the life science community and coordinates the bioinformatics education for the next generation of computational biologists. The programmer will benefit from the proficient team of software developers in the CBU Service Group (cbu.uib.no/cbu-service-group), an important part of the working environment in addition to the Barsnes research group.
If none of the applicants qualifies for the position as chief engineer we will consider to offer an employment as staff engineer. The qualification requirements will then be reduced accordingly.
The position includes the development and maintenance of software for the analysis and sharing of biomedical data, either in a web-based context, such as CSF-PR (probe.uib.no/csf-pr-2.0), or as standalone applications, such as PeptideShaker (compomics.github.io/projects/peptide-shaker.html).
Qualifications and qualities:
- The applicants must have master’s degree in informatics, preferably focused on bioinformatics. Formal education can in some cases be compensated by long and relevant experience combined with relevant courses.
- Relevant experience in the development of web-based software
- Excellent Java programming skills. Experience with Python is an advantage.
- Personal skills that are important for the position will be emphasized.
- The applicants must be fluent in both oral and written English.
We can offer:
- A good and scientifically challenging working environment.
- Position as chief engineer (code 1087), salary at pay grade 53-58 in the state salary scale (NOK 459 100 – 499 600), alternatively as staff engineer (code 1085/pay framework 22), with salary at pay grade 47-52 (NOK 416 600 – 451 300).
- For especially well qualified applicants a higher salary may be considered.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- Good welfare benefits
Application deadline: 9 July 2017
For further information please contact Harald Barsnes, researcher, Department of Informatics and Department of Biomedicine, e-mail: email@example.com / phone: +47 55 58 66 65.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
Information about applicants may be made public even though the applicant has requested not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
More information about the appointment processes see: http://www.uib.no/en/poa/74459/appointment-process.
About this job
- DeadlineSunday, July 9, 2017
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID139538
- Internal ID2017/7338
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Research / Development
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland