The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
Postdoctoral Fellow in structural speleology/geomorphology
There is a vacancy for a postdoctoral fellow at the Department of Earth Science within structural speleology/geomorphology, focussing on the study of the development of karst cave geometry and its further evolution through collapse processes. The task is to investigate the connection between geological structures and the architecture of resulting karst caves. The next step is to develop a model for their transformation into paleokarst breccia bodies and their properties as petroleum reservoirs. These models will be transferred to simulation experiments on petroleum production and reverse seismic modelling. The position is for a period of 2 years, 2017-2019, and is part of the NRC-project FOPAK (Forecasting of architecture, seismic characteristics and flow behavior in paleokarst reservoirs).
About the project/Work tasks
We wish to attract an active researcher with proven and relevant research experience within field-based speleological and structural/geomorphological studies who will help lead a team of masters and PhD researchers under the supervision of Professor Stein-Erik Lauritzen. This is a work package under the mentioned FOPAK project which delivers karst models to the simulation experiments.
This will involve:
- field studies of caves and structural geology
- dating of cave deposits and fracture fills
- interpreting structural and stress history
- producing detailed cave maps and digital 3D models
- statistical analysis of the models
- deduction of speleogenetic development
- developing algortihms for collapse in a paleokarst situation
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within geoscience or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- Work independently and in a structured manner and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- Proficiency in both written and oral English.
Special requirements for the position include:
- Documented experience of field-based speleological work and mapping is essential.
- Experience of structural and geomorphological analysis would be an advantage.
- Experience with practical U-series dating of cave deposits is essential.
- Documented skills and experience in horizontal and vertical caving and cave mapping is essential.
- Experience with microstructural characterization and analysis will be an advantage.
- Evidence of the ability to present and publish the result of research at an international level is essential.
- The project can start immediately, so candidates who are able to start immediately will be preferred.
- The fieldwork will be based on camping in remote areas and will be quite physically demanding. Broad experience from fieldwork, the outdoors, for instance working in the high Arctic, will be considered an advantage.
About the position of postdoctoral fellow:
The position of postdoctoral fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. The fixed-term period for this position is two years. Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral fellow at the same institution.
Upon appointment, applicants must submit a project proposal for the qualifying work. The project proposal must be prepared in cooperation with the project manager/supervisor and must also include a schedule. It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
We can offer:
- a good and professionally challenging working environment
- salary at pay grade 57 (Code 1352/ Pay range 24, alternative 1) in the state salary scale. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 486 100,-. Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position. For particularly highly qualified applicants, a higher salary may be considered.
- enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- a position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- a brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- names and contact information for two references. One of these may be the main advisor from the PhD programme.
- transcripts and diplomas and official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted
- relevant certificates/references
- list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- any publications in your name
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting: Professor Stein-Erik Laurtizen, Department of Earth Science, phone: +47 55 58 35 08, e-mail: email@example.com
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
Applications sent by e-mail to individuals at the university will not be considered.
About this job
- DeadlineTuesday, July 4, 2017
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID139478
- Internal ID17/7208
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Research / Development
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland