The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
PhD position in HCI - AI
There is a vacancy for a PhD position at the Department of Information Science and Media Studies within the field human computer interaction (HCI). The position is financed by the Norwegian Research Council as part of a User-driven Research based Innovation (BIA) project “Better Video workflows via Real-Time Collaboration and AI-Techniques in TV and New Media”, a collaboration between Vizrt and UiB. The terms and conditions of employment will be governed by the University of Bergen.
Vizrt provides real-time 3D graphics, video playout, studio automation, sports analysis, and asset management tools for the media and entertainment industry including CNN, Fox, BBC, Sky Sports, Al Jazeera and many more. Vizrt is also developing a product called Viz Story which is central to this PhD position. The PhD will work closely with Vizrt R&D department.
The research topic is situated at the crossroads of the fields Human Computer interaction and Artificial intelligence also referred to as Intelligent User Interfaces. More specifically, the work will focus on the area of applying AI tools and techniques to improve work-flows. This may include audio and video analysis as well as speech recognition and computer vision technologies. The PhD candidate will be engaged in design research including design and development of functional prototypes as well as evaluation studies of Viz Story in different contexts of use as part of their PhD.
A research proposal of 3-5 pages must accompany your application. The proposal should state clearly how your education, experience and training is relevant for the position, and outline how the research could be conducted in answering the question “How can techniques from AI be applied in creating a better workflow for video production?” in line with the aims of the project as stated above. The proposal should briefly present some research problem(s) and a choice of theory and methods.
Required Qualifications and personal qualities:
- You hold a master's degree in information science, informatics, or computer science. The applicant must have completed their degree or submitted their Master’s thesis for assessment prior to the closing date for the application. It is a condition of employment that their Master’s degree has been awarded.
- You have received a B grade or better on your Master’s degree, including your master thesis.
- You have experience with developing software.
- You are able to work independently and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- You are self-motivated and have the ability to focus on specific topics in order to deliver results in challenging topics.
- You are proficient in both written and spoken English.
- You have the ability to work in a team environment developing software in a professional setting,
- You exhibit the motivation to complete all the work tasks associated with the project, both research-wise and development-wise.
Additional considerations for the position:
• Preference will be given to students with a background in Human-Computer Interaction, Intelligent User Interfaces or Artificial Intelligence
• Additional experience in interaction design, prototyping and related areas will be an advantage.
• The candidate should provide strong evidence of existing research skills and/or knowledge to match the project topic, e.g., via Masters thesis, and/or via prior research/publications and/or work experience.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview.
About the research training:
As a PhD research fellow you will take part in the doctoral educational programme at UiB. The programme corresponds to a period of three years and leads to the submission of a PhD dissertation. To be eligible for admission you must have completed a Master’s degree. The educational background must be equivalent to a five-year Master’s education, including a two-year Master’s degree and a Master thesis. It is expected that the topic of the Master’s degree is connected to the academic field to which you are seeking admission.
We can offer:
- Salary at pay grade 50 upon appointment (Code 1017) on the government salary scale (equivalent to NOK 435 500,- per year). Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position
- A good and professionally challenging working environment
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- A position in an Inclusive Workplace (IW enterprise)
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- A cover letter including a brief account of your research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- The names and contact information for two reference people. One of them must be the main advisor for the master thesis or equivalent thesis
- Project proposal
- Transcripts and diplomas showing completion of relevant bachelor's and master's degrees.
- Relevant certificates/references
- A list of academic publications if any
- Academic publications that you want to submit for assessment (including your master’s thesis or equivalent)
If you have a master's degree from an institution outside of the Nordic countries, or a 2-year discipline- based master's degree in a subject area other than the one associated with the application, you may later in the application process be asked to submit an overview of the syllabus for the degree you have completed.
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded to Jobbnorge. You can do this by following the link on this page marked “Apply for this job”.
The application has to be marked: 17/7036
Closing date for applications: September 18, 2017
Applications submitted without a project proposal or applications sent as e-mails will not be considered. Only submitted documents will be subjected to an expert assessment.
Additional information about the position is obtainable by contacting Associate Professor Frode Guribye, e-mail email@example.com, phone +4755584184.
Practical questions regarding the application procedures should be directed to senior officer Bodil Hægland, phone +47 55 58 90 53, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Appointed research fellows will be admitted to the doctoral education programme at the Faculty of Social Sciences. Further information about the program is available on the webpage http://www.uib.no/en/svf/37940/doctoral-education. Questions about the programme may be directed to senior officer Hanne Gravermoen, e-mail: email@example.com, phone: +47 55 58 90 68.
The teaching language will usually be Norwegian.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
About this job
- DeadlineMonday, September 18, 2017
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID139250
- Internal ID17/7036
- DurationFixed Term
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland