The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
PhD position in Visualization – up to two positions
At the Department of Informatics there are up to two PhD positions in the field of visualization available, within the project “MetaVis”, financed by the Research Council of Norway and the University of Bergen. The position is for a fixed-term period of 4 years.
About the Department
The Department has 6 research groups; Algorithms, Bioinformatics, Optimization, Programming Theory, Reliable Communication and Visualization. The Department is ranked first in Norway with respect to the quality of its research by the Research Council of Norway. For more information visit our web pages: http://www.uib.no/en/ii
About the project/work tasks
The “MetaVis” project aims to study the space of visualizations itself and how it can be efficiently and effectively navigated. The goal is to develop interactive visual methods to enable users in choosing appropriate visualization techniques for particular types of data and tasks. The topic for the PhD can be chosen within this broad range to suit the strengths and interests of the PhD candidate.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicants must hold a master's degree or equivalent in visualization, human-computer interaction and/or computer graphics. Candidates are invited to apply if they plan to complete their final master’s exam by 1 October 2017. Employment will then be postponed until the master’s degree is obtained.
- We seek a highly motivated individual with interest in data visualization.
- Very good programming skills, in particular with respect to GPU programming (OpenGL, OpenCL, CUDA, WebGL,etc.) are a requirement.
- The applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- The applicants must be proficient in both written and oral English.
About the PhD position
The duration of the PhD position is 4 years, of which 25 per cent of the time each year comprises obligatory duties associated with research, teaching and dissemination of results. The employment period may be reduced if you have previously been employed in a recruitment position.
About the research training
As a PhD candidate, you must participate in an approved educational programme for a PhD degree within a period of 4 years (equivalent to 3 years of full time work). It is a condition that you satisfy the enrolment requirements for the PhD programme at the University of Bergen.
A final plan for the implementation of the research training must be approved by the faculty within three months after you have commenced in the position.
We can offer:
- Opportunities for research exchanges with collaborating labs
- A good and professionally challenging working environment
- Salary at pay grade 50 (code 1017/pay range 20.8) in the state salary scale, currently NOK 435 500 gross p.a. Further promotions are made according to qualifications and length of service in the position.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact details of at least two referees. One of these must be the main advisor for the master's thesis or equivalent thesis.
- Transcripts and diplomas that are complete on the closing date of application.
- If you have not yet completed your master’s degree, please submit a statement from your institution confirming the expected date of the award of your master’s degree. The master’s degree must be documented with transcripts and/or diploma, alternatively a confirmation from your institution confirming on completed degree and your grade, by 1 October 2017.
- CV (in addition to completing the CV in Jobbnorge)
- Relevant certificates/references
- A list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- Publications (if any).
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.
Closing date for application: 18 June 2017.
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting Professor Stefan Bruckner (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
About this job
- DeadlineSunday, June 18, 2017
- EmployerUniversity of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID138313
- Internal ID2017/5872
- DurationFixed Term
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
- Vacant positions - Research / Development
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Hordaland