The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest ranked educational and research institution, with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. With its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally recognised research communities, UiO is an important contributor to society.
The Department of Education was established in 1938 and is one of three departments at the Faculty of Educational Sciences. The research is based on traditions from both the social and the human sciences, and the department thus accommodates great breadth in topics and perspectives. The department employs approximately 100 people; appx 49 faculty, appx 35 doctoral and post-doctoral students, and appx 16 administrative/technical staff. The number of students is appx 900.
A position as a research fellow is vacant in the Department of Education, Faculty of Educatonal Sciences, related to research areas covered by the research group “Text comprehension: Development, Instruction, and Multiple texts” (TextDIM).
The TextDIM research group investigates oral language and discourse in relation to reading literacy in both language minority and language majority students across the age span. Ongoing projects research long-term effects of promoting oral language development in preschool, as well as understanding and promoting critical reading and learning skills among upper-secondary school students. Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed-methods approaches are used in this research. Applicants must prepare a project proposal that can be positioned within one of the projects conducted by the TextDIM research group. Of note is that some TextDIM projects may require mastery of a Scandinavian language. We are seeking a highly motivated and competent candidate who is willing and able to participate actively in the research community in the department and in the research group. More information about research topics and projects covered by TextDIM can be found on the research group’s website: TextDIM
Positions as research fellows are fixed-term educational positions where the aim is that the research fellow completes a doctoral degree (PhD) during the period of employment. A prerequisite for the employment is admission to the Faculty’s doctoral degree programme, and applicants’ formal and other qualifications for admission will therefore also be assessed. Research fellowship positions are defined as recruitment posts and represent an important instrument in the sector’s work of generating qualified applicants for other academic posts at universities and university colleges in the long-term perspective. The doctoral candidate is expected to participate actively in the organized research training and in the Faculty’s research community.
The appointment is made for a period of up to four years, 25% of which is devoted to required duties, for example in the form of teaching activities.
Applicants must satisfy the requirements for admission to the Faculty’s PhD programme. This normally includes:
- Documented successful completion of
- a Master's degree program (normally equivalent to a Norwegian two years' MA degree/ECTS 120 credits),or
- a similar higher education program,
in both cases with thesis, and within relevant and accepted subject areas.
- Documented result of the masters' degree required: Minimum grade B or equivalent (ECTS grading scale) including the grade on the thesis.
Further information on admission requirements and an application form can be found at this website.
In the assessment of applications, emphasis will be put on
- The quality of the project proposal
- The proposal’s alignment with one of the research group’s projects
- The applicants’ academic and personal qualifications for completing the research training program
- Personal suitability and motivation for the position
- Good ability to collaborate nationally and internationally
Good English language skills are also required.
The application must be submitted electronically and must include the following:
- Letter of application
- Project description (cf. Guidance).
- Completed application form for admission to the doctoral degree programme
- Certified copies of diplomas, grade transcripts and any other testimonials
- In the event of diplomas from other countries: printouts of prospectuses or similar that describe the content and framework of the courses of study on which the application is based.
- Master’s thesis and any other academic works that may be of relevance to the application.
- CV that also includes an overview of any previously published academic/scientific works.
Applicants from countries outside the Nordic countries where English is not the official language must attach a TOEFL test with a minimum score of 550 unless they have a diploma from a university in an English-speaking country.
Incomplete applications will in normal circumstances not be assessed.
As a rule, interviews will be conducted as part of the appointment process. At the interview the applicant will be asked to present original diplomas and grade transcripts from previous courses of study.
- Salary between NOK 432 700 and NOK 489 300 per annum (pay grade 50-57). Research fellows are normally allocated pay grade 50 on appointment.
- A positive and stimulating working environment
- Pension arrangements in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- A position in an inclusive working life enterprise
- Attractive welfare arrangements
The University of Oslo has an Acquisition of Rights Agreement for all employees for the purpose of securing intellectual property rights to research results etc.
Pursuant to section 25, paragraph 2 of the Norwegian Freedom of Information Act, information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list even though the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
The University of Oslo also aims to recruit more individuals with an immigrant background to academic positions. Candidates with an immigrant background are encouraged to apply.
- Professor Ivar Bråten, email@example.com
- Senior Executive Officer Tone Elstad, firstname.lastname@example.org, +47 22844758
About this job
- DeadlineSunday, July 2, 2017
- EmployerUniversity of Oslo
- Jobbnorge ID137513
- Internal ID2017/250
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
- Vacant positions - University of Oslo
- Vacant positions - Education / Teaching / Research
- Vacant positions - Oslo