The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in Trondheim represents academic eminence in technology and the natural sciences as well as in other academic disciplines ranging from the social sciences, the arts, medicine, teacher education, architecture to fine art. Cross-disciplinary cooperation results in innovative breakthroughs and creative solutions with far-reaching social and economic impact.
Faculty of Engineering Science and Technology
Department of Geology and Mineral Resources Engineering
PhD Research Fellowship in Geological Engineering (4 years)
One PhD research fellowship is vacant at the Department of Geology and Mineral Resources Engineering within Geological Engineering Research Group.
Our research group is looking for a geological engineer (rock engineer) who has deep (excellent) knowledge in rock engineering, tunnelling and hydropower development. The candidate should be enthusiastic in carrying out research and scientific development and should fulfil following requirements;
- Must have MSc degree in Geological Engineering or Civil Engineering with MSc specialization in geological engineering (rock engineering).
- Preferably, should have completed MSc thesis within geological engineering (rock engineering) issues connected to hydropower development in the Himalayan or other mountainous regions.
- The candidate should have achieved Grade “A” or equivalent in his MSc degree.
- Should have sufficient work experience (2 - 4 years) in the development of hydropower projects in the Himalayan region.
- Should preferentially have knowledge in Himalayan geology and rock masses, numerical modelling and basic computer programming skills.
The successful candidate will undertake the PhD research with a title “Applicability of unlined/shotcrete lined high pressure tunnels for hydropower projects in the Himalaya”. The research will therefore be focused in assessing potential use of unlined/shotcrete lined pressure tunnels excavated through Himalayan rock mass. The research includes extensive engineering geological field mapping in and around the selected hydropower projects located in remote Himalayan areas and laboratory analysis of the rock samples, statistical, analytical and numerical assessments.
The application should include a research proposal in the topic to demonstrate candidate’s ability in research (research proposal not exceeding one page), well written CV, academic credentials and reference letters to demonstrate relevant qualifications for this fellowship.
The fellowship is awarded for a total of 4 years including 25% teaching obligation as a teaching associate who will be responsible for tutorials and laboratory assignments related to geological engineering for undergraduate students.
Academic contact: Associate Professor Krishna Panthi
PhD Candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at wage level 50, gross NOK 420 800 before tax. The salary is adjusted according to the recent wage negotiations, and given subject to the final approval of the Storting (the Norwegian Parliament). There will be a 2 % deduction for superannuation.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants. The positions adhere to the Norwegian Government's policy of balanced ethnicity, age and gender. According to the new Freedom of Information Act, information concerning the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to be included in the list of applicants. Applications with CV, possible publications and other scientific works, certified copies of transcripts and reference letters should be submitted electronically via this website.
Mark your application with ref.no. IVT-21/14
Anticipated commencement latest September 1st 2014.
Application deadline 15.03.2014
- ArbeidsgiverNTNU - Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet
- ArbeidsstedDepartment of Geology and Mineral Resources Engineering
- Søknader for denne stillingen registreres i et elektronisk skjema på jobbnorge.no
- Du må fylle ut: Standard CV
- Vennligst opplys i søknaden hvor du først så stillingsutlysningen!
- Flere stillinger fra NTNU - Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet
- Flere stillinger fra Forskning / Utvikling
- Flere stillinger fra Utdanning / Undervisning / Forskning
- Flere stillinger fra Sør-Trøndelag